HCPC registration fees which the Council used to cover, and were removed several years ago as part of swinging savings implemented across all fees for professional bodies. Interestingly fees for our solicitors continued to be paid, so there were exemptions to this 'universal' policy.

UNISON has been campaigning ever since on our members behalf to have the cost met by the Council. Many of our neighbouring Council's continue to pay these fees, and in light of the recent pay evaluation. Designed to bring Cambridgeshire in-line with our neighbours, we raised registration fees as an example which continued to set us apart from our neighbours.

The request from UNISON for the Council to reinstate the cost of HCPC registration was recently heard by your senior managers, who unequivocally rejected the request. The reasoning being that your recent pay awards more than covered your HCPC costs.


UNISON will continue to campaign for the Council to pick up these costs, as so many other Councils continue to do so. Serving to foster the goodwill and relationship between employer and, employee. In the meantime, UNISON would like to highlight that 20% of your registration fees can be claimed back, saving you nearly £20 per annum, further more you can back date your claim to the 2011-2012 tax year, saving you approximately £100.

There are three different ways of claiming tax relief on your registration fees.

1. If you complete a self-assessment tax return, you can claim tax relief from your registration fees on the employment page of the return.

2. If you do not file a tax return, you can claim tax relief using form P87: Tax relief for expenses of employment, available to download from the HMRC website.

3. You can telephone HMRC and ask for relief on your fees. Contact details can be found on the HMRC website.

See the HMRC website for further details, including allowable expenses, eligibility and claiming back tax for past years.

Claiming this tax relief is not restricted to HCPC fees, all professional body fees are included, including CILIP, AAT/CIPFA and many others.  Please see the HMRC website for the full list. 

UNISON fees can also be included in your tax relief if you work comes under Heath care.  So Nurses and paramedics can claim this relief, unfortunately Local government workers cannot! 

Please follow the different links above and claim back your 20%

In Solidarity